January 29, 2012

Versatility during the ‘dog days’ of winter

Usually, the term “dog days” is associated with the hottest, muggiest days of summer. But one Merriam-Webster definition of the term is “a period of stagnation or inactivity.” In this climate, in this part of the world, at this time of year, we’re in the dog days of winter.




The scene outside my window—as pretty as it is—doesn’t change much from day to day.


So when I received a note from Helene at Graphicality-UK, saying she had awarded me the “Versatile Blogger Award,” it made my day. In fact, it pretty much made my week!

Thank you, Helene!







Without further ado, here are the rules of the award:

·  Post the Versatile Blogger Award. Check.

·  Thank the blogger who nominated you with a link back to their blog. Thanks, again, Helene!

·  In the same post, share seven completely random pieces of information about yourself. Hmmm, let’s see:

  1. I’m a plant geek. I suppose that’s obvious, but I’m realizing I was pretty much born this way.
  2. I don’t always remember the Latin or even the common names of the plants I love, but I do my best. This blog helps me to keep track.
  3. I avoid the cold as much as possible. Funny, I know, from someone who grew up in the Midwest, but I’ve had frostbite a few too many times.
  4. I’m a former member of a Monty Python fan club. (This is supposed to be a random list, right?)
  5. I like to crochet—basic patterns, like scarves and afghans.
  6. I try to escape to a warm place in late winter if I can—this year it will be a trip to New Orleans in March. Bring on the Beignets!
  7. I’d pick toasted marshmallows and a campfire over a formal dinner party any day!
·  In the same post, include this set of rules. Check.

·  Forward this award to 15 fellow bloggers, and inform them with a comment on each of their blogs. Here’s my list:

Janet at Plantaliscious. Her posts about her pastoral setting in England and her adventures with her allotment garden are always a delight.

Kathleen at Kasey’s Korner. She’s an absolute pro with macro shots of her fabulous Orchids, Amaryllis, Hibiscus, and other indoor blooming plants. And her outdoor gardens are incredible, too.

TS at Casa Mariposa. A schoolteacher by day, she manages to mix humor, whimsy, and great photos into her very engaging posts.

Scott at Rhone Street Gardens. He has a way with capturing the simplest things and making them look exquisite. Truly a great photographer!

Joey at the Village Voice. Joey creates magical mosaics and special-effects photos that take my breath away, always combined with words of wisdom.

Donna at Gardens Eye View. A published author, poet, and photographer, Donna includes great advice and inspiration in every post.

Cat at The Whimsical Gardener. Many of my visits to Cat’s blog have been accompanied by sighs of wonder. She, too, can transform simple subjects into works of art through her lens.

Layanee at Ledge and Gardens. Layanee’s blog is warm and welcoming and very creative. I always enjoy visits to Ledge and Gardens.

Elly at Een kleine idylle. Neat and tidy graceful scenes of fresh interiors and exteriors—you’ll find these and more magic at Elly’s blog.

Dona at La Terrazza. Scenes from Venice and other Italian destinations remind me of the unequaled beauty of that part of the world.

Sheila at Green Place. Sheila has a way of looking at gardening and nature that is unique and comfortable at the same time. It’s hard to explain, but I love her blog.

Diane at Diane’s Texas Garden. Most visits to Diane’s blog result in a trip to the kitchen for a snack. Her stories about her fertile garden and mouth-watering photos of food preparation always whet my appetite.

Ginny at Welcome to Ginny’s Garden. Ginny is versatile with her blog post subjects. I think of North Carolina as the perfect setting for a gardener.

Rose at Prairie Rose’s Garden. A fellow Midwesterner, Rose is one step ahead of me in the springtime. When she starts posting about spring blooms, I know it’s just around the corner for me.

Julia at Polka Dot Galoshes. This blog is definitely versatile and whimsical. Julia has a unique take on gardening, garden design, and the special challenges of the Seattle climate.

Some of these blogs may have already received the Versatile Blogger Award—they all deserve it! As do so many others—some of whom are listed on the blogroll on the right side of this page. I didn’t include blogs I knew had already received the award. And of course, there are just so many wonderful blogs to visit. Narrowing it down to 15 was somewhat of a “just do it” exercise.

I’m so honored by Helene’s generosity and thrilled to be included in this wonderful family of talented gardener/bloggers. Cheers to all of you!

28 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,

    Thank you very much for the award. I am honoured.
    You have read that I must take a time out for blogging because of some necessary thing to do in private envirement.
    After that I will do the things with the award.
    Thanks you again en till soon.
    Lovely greetings, Elly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elly: Yes, of course. Take care, and I will look forward to your return!

      Delete
  2. Wow. Thank you Beth. And now I have more blogs to read from the others you have favored. Cold and windy here. Bundle up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Layanee. Stay warm--soon we'll be enjoying the mild weather again!

      Delete
  3. Your winter shots are beautiful. You are right, it changes less in winter, but here, this year has been very different for some reason. We have had too many spring-like days. I find myself actually begging for a good snowfall. I like the composition of your last shot with the shadow falling through the trellis. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna! It was different here, too, until we got the first big snow. Since then it's been warmer than usual, but still wintery.

      Delete
  4. I certainly understand how you were chosen and honored to be included by you for this award. Thank you, Beth. You are a dear and delightful blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Joey, you are so kind. Thank you for your friendship and inspiration!

      Delete
  5. Beth it is an honor to be nominated and I thank you...you are too kind...our winter has returned with a lake effect storm...home under the weather so I can enjoy the beauty of this fluffy snowfall covering everything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care of yourself, Donna. I guess it's good for the plants to have the snow, as difficult as it can be. Hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Thank you!! You have just made my day, week, month...ah heck, I'm beyond thrilled!! What an honor to not only be selected but to be listed amongst such great company. Really appreciate the award.
    Huge Congrats to you Beth and your beautifully inspiring blog for receiving this award too...Cheers Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) My pleasure, Julia! These awards are great because they are determined by peers. I was so thrilled to get the note from Helene, too!

      Delete
  7. THANK YOU!!!
    I feel so proud and honored to be included in the list of your favourite versatile bloggers, though I'm not sure I deserved it... :)
    A big hug from Venice to my good American blogging friend Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you deserve it Dona! Thanks for your greetings and inspiration from Italy!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for the award, really kind. I love that photo of the leaf on the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet! I'm looking forward to my next trip to your blog to see what's happening in your town and garden.

      Delete
  9. Thank you! I am excited to be included as one of your favorite bloggers! The award was especially nice coming at a time I have been feeling guilty for neglecting my blog because of too much going on ... It's definitely inspiration to continue with regular blogging, which I have missed these past few weeks. I very much enjoy your blog, too. I agree about the oak leaf and snow photograph - simple and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! No need to feel guilty. It's just one of those things when life intervenes. I always look forward to your posts!

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much, Beth, for thinking of me and including me in your award-winners--so kind of you! Now I want to check out some of the other bloggers I'm not familiar with; they all sound much more interesting than I. Love that last photo--it looks magical!

    I don't want to get your hopes up, but yesterday I saw a flock of geese in a V-formation heading flying...north! Do you suppose spring is on its way soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rose! And thank you! Ah, now that's exciting! I've seen geese, too. We usually have them here if there's any open water. Any signs of Crocuses or Daffodils, yet?

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for including me, Beth! I love that this award introduces us to and helps us get to know other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Ginny. I think it's a great award, too. You are very deserving. Cheers!

      Delete
  12. Thank you! Thank you!! You really made my day!! :o) Happiness and joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee. But of course, TS. You are definitely a versatile blogger! :)

      Delete
  13. Awww, thanks so much Beth! What an honor to read your thoughtful description of my blog. I'm excited to visit the other bloggers you've listed...always fun to find new inspiration.

    Your winter captures are beautiful. I love the pop of red the cardinal brings to your landscape. He's cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Cat. All comments about your blog are true. I agree that it's great to branch out and visit bloggers recommended by others. Cheers to you!

      Delete
  14. Wonderful photos. They are the dog days of winter. Love the cardinal shots. You know what the worst is? That week in March that toys with everyone. You know the one. It's when temps of 60's or 70's happen. Everyone throws on their shorts and run. The next day it's 20 below and a blizzard:) Those were the killers and my downfall into depression until May happened:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly! February and March are the worst months for me. At least in April there are real signs of spring. This year, that might happen in March--if the mild winter wasn't too hard on the spring ephemerals. Thanks!

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!